I have been working on my presentation, and it is so refreshing to work in something less complicated than web design. I am finding the slides relatively easy to make. The time-consuming part is finding the graphics to go with the slides.
My planned audience is one of teens and young adults at our library. A little background: Our library serves a very poor, rural community of about 610. Teens here lack the resources that many of us have come to take for granted. Several young adults who frequent the library have dropped out of school. Others are struggling financially.
One of our library Friends suggested offering an etiquette class for teens so that they could practice conducting themselves in more formal situations. I think this is a great idea, but how would I ever get them to attend? Then a colleague suggested holding workshops on how to do resumes, cover letters, and to present yourself at an interview. Etiquette would fit in nicely during the interviewing practice part.
My PowerPoint is designed to get teens thinking about setting and apporpriate behaviors in different settings. My intent is to stimulate discussion and to educate. While the first slide is serious, the pictures in the body of the presentation are quite silly. I want to inject a little humor for this somewhat reluctant audience.
Also, the content covers very basic issues regarding presenting and promoting one's self. From what I have observed, this is the place to start. The slides are intending to be a jumping-off point for discussion. I do not want to be lecturing, but getting the kids to think. Therefore, the slides are quite simple and not chock-full of information; rather, they invite the audience to ponder.
A little about bells and whistles: I personally cannot stand animated graphics. I find them distracting and annoying. I want my audience to be engaged in discussion rather than mesmorized by something jumping on the screen. This is just a personal preference.
Transitions and design: Again, I prefer simplicity. These kids are stimulated enough by technological gadgetry and it's effects. I want them to focus on ideas.
I did pick silly images, though, as I mentioned above, to keep them interested. Nothing is worse than those tired old Microsoft clip art graphics.
I am, surprisingly, quite happy with my product.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment