Saturday, February 14, 2009

Thing 5: Flickr

Something I didn't know about tags and Flickr: You can let your friends add tags to your photos.

Some numbers: Each item can have up to 75 tags. You may join as many as 10 group pools if you have a regular Flickr account.

Two kinds of groups: Anyone can join and invitation only. Private groups cannot be made public.
When you create a group, you automatically become it's administrator.

I tried yesterday to insert a photo here from my Flickr account, but was unsuccessful. I used the "blog this" button in the top of the photo in Flickr, but it put the picture in a completely new post. I wanted to put it in this one only. I will try again using the image button from this end.

I tried various ways of pulling it directly from Flickr, but was unsuccessful. Instead, I saved it to my desktop and loaded it that way.




This picture (below) was placed here according to the rules of Flickr. The rules say that if you post a Flickr photo on an external website, you must link back to its photo page. I have done that by cutting and pasting html code into this page. I am proud to say that I now know what that means!
Majestic Mange However, I clearly don't yet know how to write alongside this picture. I will have to live with that for now.

I came across something in this Flickr exploration called "hotlinking." I am trying to get a handle on it. I have read that this happens when you use someone else's server, "stealing bandwidth", to post a picture on your site. I've just read from http://www.simplykristi.com/online_help/webpage_help/webpage_netiquette/stealing_bandwith/ that
that it occurs when you link directly to someone else's web page instead of uploading it to your own. I'm a little confused, because I was under the impression that Flickr wanted me to do that.

So many things to learn . . .








No comments:

Post a Comment